A person can make a Guardianship application where it is necessary to take care of the welfare of another. This can involve a child or an elderly person and anywhere in between. Generally, a person who is not capable of maintaining their own welfare must have a Guardian appointed.

If you are concerned for a family member or a close friend’s welfare, you may be able to become their legal Guardian.

VCAT Application

Guardianship can be achieved by making an application to the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). The extent of the application for a Guardianship arrangement can vary. A VCAT member will consider the Guardianship application and make a determination on it, which may include granting it, declining it, or granting it with variations to the initial application.

Being a legal Guardian is a position of trust. Consequently, a Guardian must maintain accountability and keep appropriate records. VCAT will require these records from time to time.

Being a Guardian is not only a position of great responsibility, but may also be demanding and time consuming. Therefore, you should carefully consider this position before requesting appointment.

Contact Anthony Raso & Associates Today

Our lawyers can assist you with making an application for Guardianship where somebody requires your care.

Call us on (03) 9763 6399 to arrange an appointment today. Alternatively, you can contact us through our online enquiry form and we will reply to you promptly.

Subscribe to our legal services newsletter